Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Climbing again at Kangaroo Point

Now that I have the nausea caused by the combined chemo and radiation therapy under control again with Zofran, I have found that my legs and arms are still strong enough to return to climbing. So, for the last two Wednesday evenings I have returned to the regular gang of climbers. Because there is still a small chance of having a seizure I have restricted myself to climbing only. Not belaying, because it would be too big a risk to have me controlling the rope for someone else. I completed some of the easier climbs but Kiwi, the one pictured here, was a bit too much for me at this stage. I fell at the crux and did not have the strength to complete the route. However, I'm sure it will come back after a couple more weeks of practice. It's fantastic to be back on the rock and it feels like I'm applying Lance Armstrong's "livestrong" motto. I think it should be more than "livestrong", "liveintense" seems more appropriate because you need to take your mind off the tumour and live life as intensly as possible in these circumstances.

4 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURIE!!
    You've reached the all-important 55th milestone!
    Onwards and upwards!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great to see you back to climbing. You are very inspirational Laurie. Cheers Carina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Laurie so fantastic to see you back on the rock. Am so looking forward to Sunburnt Buttress with you. Leaving for Yosemite Fri week - think of me : ) Jenny

    ReplyDelete