Sunday, May 10, 2009

2009 - "Houston, we have a problem..."

It appears that the old oligo is misbehaving! The MRI and PET scans that we scheduled three months ago, after some uncertainty in January, have uncovered two new issues. First, it is clear that the oligo has grown when compared to images from two years ago. Second, it is now touching the Corpus Callosum and if it invades that structure it will become inoperable.

Luckily, indications are that it has not turned malignant.

Updated: 15 May 2009
David Walker at Briz Brain and Spine advises surgery followed by radiation therapy. I saw radiation oncologist David Schlect and he suggests the same course of action. I then consulted Michael Redmond who operated on me in 1993 and again in 2006. He agrees with all that I have been told by David Walker and David Schlect. Specifically that:
  • the tumour has grown since May 2007
  • it does not appear to be malignant yet
  • it will become inoperable if left to invade the corpus callosum
  • I should have sugery followed by radiation therapy
  • I should act sooner rather than later

Further, he thinks I should be more aggressive with the surgery this time. That means the surgeon would take as much of the tumour as possible even at the risk of damaging surrounding healthy brain tissue (ie neurons). Unfortunately, that also would increase the risk of post-operative swelling which nearly finished me off after the last operation. So it is a case of the more aggressive the operation, the more risky it becomes, but the better the long-term outcome. This will no doubt be the subject of a meaty conversation with David Walker when I meet with him this Thursday to give him the go ahead for the operation.


It has become a bit of a tug-of-war between me and my oligo and right now it has the upper hand. So I need to go ahead with the surgery and radiation as I think that would be the quickest way for me to be winning again. It is a bit of a gamble because the surgery is so dangerous, but hey, I'm feeling lucky!

Updated: 21 May 2009

We have now booked in for the surgery with Dr David Walker. The operation will be on Friday 29 May 2009 at St Andrew's Hospital. Will post further details when arrangements have been made.



MRI scan May 2009 (Click on image to enlarge)

3 comments:

  1. Bueno amigo, espero que todo salga bién y te puedas recuperar pronto, dado que mañana es mi cumpleaños y es mi período de mas suerte en el año, te deseo que toda esa suerte vaya para tí y puedas seguir enfrentando este obstáculo de la vida. Y dado que retorno a mi país en unos meses, ojalá tenga el placer en el futuro de recibirlos en mi tierra.
    Estoy seguro de que tú y tu gran mujer saldrán victoriosos de esto.

    Sinceramente,
    Hugo.
    =================================================
    Well my friend, I hope that everything be good and you can recover soon, given that tomorrow is my birthday and it is my luckiest period in the year, I wish you that all that luck goes to you so you can keep fighting with that obstacle in you life. And given that I will return into my country in a few months time, hopefully in the future I will have the pleasure to receive you in my land.
    I am sure that you and you great woman will be victorious of this.

    Sincerely,
    Hugo (Oogo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it all goes well Laurie ..... we have some unfinished paddling business to get up to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the op all goes well Laurie .... we have some unfinished paddling business to get up to :-)

    ReplyDelete