Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ready for Radiation


Yesterday I visited the Premion Radiation Oncology Clinic at the Wesley hospital to attend a "Planning" session which really turned out to be a setup session. They had to make a mask of my face which will be used to ensure that my head is positioned in exactly the same position each time I get zapped with the X-rays from the radiation machine. The formation of the mask was actually a pleasant experience as they pressed a warm soft mesh onto my face, it was a bit like receiving a facial massage! The image I have palced to the left shows an example of this process. I will be receiving a treatment that is called Conformal Radiation therapy (see http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=13504) using five beams.Yesterday, after the mask had set they performed a CT scan of my brain and this scan will be merged with an MRI scan that was done later in the day (that is because the MRI shows up the tumour better than the CT). So now I am all set for the first dose of radiation scheduled for next Thursday at 10:30 am. Hopefully this therapy, which comprises 30 of these fractional doses, will kill off any tumour cells left behind from the surgery.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie

    I have just finished reading your recent updates, which were so poignant and honest.

    I was pleased to see that you have been able to get out and enjoy some mountain air that we all know you love so much.

    As always, I wish you and Cheryl all the best as you prepare yourselves for next part of this journey.

    My thoughts continue to be with you both.

    Leanne S.

    ReplyDelete