Thursday, July 16, 2009

Radiation/Chemo Therapy 1 down, 29 to go...

This is a photo of Cheryl and me outside the Premion radio therapy clinic at the Wesley Medical Centre yesterday when I had my first dose of radiation therapy using X-rays to kill the remaining tumour cells left behind after the surgery. I am holding a bag containing my supply of the chemo-therapy drug Temadol, which is used for brain tumours (although it is usually used for malignant tumours rather than benign tumours like mine). Unlike most drugs, Temadol has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and get in there where I need it to do its job. It also has been shown to make tumour cells more sensitive to death by radiation, which is why I will be taking it during the radiation therapy. It was quite an experience having the face mask that I described in a previous post, clamped down hard on my face. It was so tight it was squashing my lips against my teeth. I tried to get a photo of it, but the nurses asked me to get permission from my doctor first. Maybe next week I'll get one.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was recently diagnosed with what they thought was an astrocytoma but after surgery in June this year we received pathology back and it was a Ganglioglioma Grade I-II.

    Would really like to put your blog on mine as a link, hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete