Friday, August 3, 2012

New symptoms, a portent for a 3rd recurrance???

Some weird new symptoms started on Sunday and because they are affecting my left side it may well be related to the tumour on my right side of the brain.
SUNDAY
After I got home from a training ride I did on Sunday which at 43Km in 2 hrs was a bit shorter than the 50Km I did the previous weekend, the left side of my tongue started to tingle then go numb! Then my left cheek started to go numb too. It felt just the same as when the dentist gives you a needle and you cheek feels fat! Then the fingers of my left hand went numb! I was panicing a bit and because it was the left side, I was thinking the worst and maybe this a new brain tumour symptom. Of course I was feeling tired from the ride anyway so I just decided to lie down and have a sleep. A couple of hours later I woke up fine.
MONDAY
I drove to work that day but at night at home my left hand went numb again, not the mouth area that time! Luckily it only lasted half an hour or so and came good but I was getting a bit panicky and decided I better not drive or cycle any more and get myself to a doctor on Tuesday
TUESDAY
After seeing my GP in the morning, I sat on the couch and leaned forward to watch TV. Felt a tingling sensation starting in the left corner of my mouth where the lips meet. It spread through my left cheek until the whole cheek numbed up just like a visit to the dentist. Then my left thumb went numb, then the left index finger , then the second finger on the left hand, then the third finger on the left hand. It stayed that way for ten minutes then the fourth finger went numb too. The little finger stayed normal. Everything returned to normal after about half an hour.


The Doctors thought these symptoms warranted an MRI scan to check out if any signs of regrowth are evident. So we did that and when Dr Walker looked at the scans he found two things a) at the site of the last surgery there was just the slightest sliver of light on the contrast scan indicating possible regrowth - but a bit inconclusive. b) in a new location deeper down in the brain where he tells me it would be inoperable,there was another smudge of light indicating possible regrowth - again, very inconclusive.


So now the plan is to wait another two weeks and have another scan and see what happens with these numbness symptoms in the meantime.



1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I guess every oligo is different. I never had any symptoms with mine until I woke up from a seizure with a dislocated shoulder. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete