Thursday, September 10, 2009

Over the Radiation Hurdle and the next one looms large ahead

It has been a tough couple of weeks since I finished the 30 days of Chemo/Radiation therapy. I now have a one month break with no therapy to give my body a chance to recover. I thought that this would be an easy time, but in reality I'm finding it very hard to remain positive because I find myself in a kind of limbo. When I was working through the radiation I guess I had a clear goal and a daily routine that kept me going. Now I find that I am worrying too much about the future, about the medical expenses and every little thing. It's getting a bit out of control and even though I know it is irrational, I can't stop doing it. I have even been waking at two or three in the morning and have to read a book to get back to sleep. The shrink thinks it is a normal response under the circumstances and put me on the higher dose of anti-depressant earlier this week. I am slowly calming down but it will still take some time to return to normal. It 's another hurdle to get over so I'll just have to hang in there and sweat it out I suppose. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this after Radiation therapy?

5 comments:

  1. Hi:
    My son went through radiation therapy two years ago and did experience depression after it was finished. He told me that while he was going to therapy he had a purpose and when it was finished he did not know what to do with himself. That feeling did pass, so I do believe what you are experiencing is a very normal reaction, my son said it was like he had a job to go to every day and then it was over.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your recovery from your treatments goes as well as it can. As hard as it can be, try to stay + I know personally I hate hearing it when people say that...but it does help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    My name is Natalya and I found your blog after searching for people writing about living with a brain tumour.

    I live in the UK and run 3 websites providing information and support to people affected by brain tumours. As part of the websites I am looking to add a 'blogs' section where people can see blogs from others dealing with a brain tumour around the world. I am writing today to ask if you would be willing to be included in this list?

    If you are happy to be a part of this could you please answer the following and provide us with a photo of yourself if possible:

    Name:
    Blog name:
    Blog link:
    Type of Brain Tumour:
    Grade of Brain Tumour:
    Short Bio:

    You can email me at natalya@btbuddies.org.uk

    I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Kind regards

    Natalya Jagger

    Founder and Trustee
    BT Buddies – offering information, inspiration and hope to anyone affected by a high grade brain tumour in the UK.
    www.btbuddies.org.uk
    email: natalya@btbuddies.org.uk
    Tel: 05601 751226

    Astro Fund - offering information, inspiration and hope to anyone affected by a low grade brain tumour in the UK.
    www.astrofund.org.uk

    Paediatric BT Buddies - offering information, inspiration and hope to parents, family members, teachers and other professionals who come into contact with a child with a brain tumour - This website is currently under construction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie Jenny here. Just back from the big climbing trip in the States and hopped straight onto your blog. Glad your treatment went well and I hope the anti-depressants kick in and do their job. Thought about you over there - Yosemite was awesome. Look forward to boring you about it all : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just wanted to say I hope you are recovering from the RT well. It takes a while as I know from first hand experience, see tinyurl.com/aboutewan for my embrionic blog.

    ReplyDelete